Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Unfailing Love

Do you have someone that tells you how much they love you everyday? Or do you know that someone loves you but they don't express it verbally? The subject of love has really been rolling around in mind for the past few months. I think, like a lot of people, I had started to buy into the Hollywood version of love. The mushy, sentimental feelings that people have towards one another. I have realized just how superficial that image is. Yes, love does contain tender affections and such but its so much more than that. I don't quite know how to explain what I am trying to explain or talk about what I am learning. I guess I could break it down this way:

1) There is an ENORMOUS need in each one of us to be loved and cherished. You can deny it and say that you are fine on your own and that you don't need anyone else, except for yourself; but you would be wrong.

2) God is the ONLY ONE who can fulfill this need in our lives.

You don't know how much I have struggled with doubt over God's love for me. I just don't understand how someone could still find a person even remotely attractive after they have been hurt by them over, and over again. Why would God want to give me my 1,989,567, second chance? How can you love someone so unfaithful?
Lie: God could never love me the way I am
Truth: God isn't human, and His definition of love is far different then mine.

Have you ever had someone do something to you that hurt you so much that you couldn't even think about them without feeling resentment or anger? Or, have you ever done something to someone and every time you see them you cringe at what you've done?
It's not easy for us to love someone who we consider is unlovable. God isn't like that.
I have been reading Breaking Free by Beth Moore and here is what she explains about God's love,

"Beloved, please receive this truth--God cannot be unbiased toward you. He cannot set His love for you aside and make an objective decision. He cannot see you through anything less than a loving Father's eyes. You and I will never be rejected when we come to God with genuine hearts of repentence..." (pg 191 Breaking Free handbook).

Satan enjoys telling us that we are nothing and that God doesn't love us. But that is farthest from the truth! God is love! to say that God doesn't love us is to call Him a liar, and to say He isn't who He is.
I know that I am rambling now but this is something that I have struggled with and I really want to say at least a little bit about it. Maybe later on I can find better words, but all I know is that when we don't accept the truth about God's love for us we become miserable. We live our lives in fear of His wrath and suffer from the loss of His love that is waiting to take us safely into His arms! If there is one thing that you remember from this rambling post I want it to be this: God loves you right now. There is nothing, I repeat nothing, that can take away that love He has for you. He is not like the guy who left you or the parent who doesn't give you the time of day. He LOVES you, always and forever. No ifs, ands, or buts. He just loves you. Start believing it today.

"This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything... And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." 1 John 3:19-20, 4:16

3 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That was good! I just got my new edition of "Breaking Free" leader's kit and DVDs in the mail yesterday. I've done the study three times and each time, I have broken free from a different stronghold that had erected itself in my life.

I can honestly say that I have never struggled with the fact God loves me. I have been His child since I was 6. I always knew He loved me even when I messed up. I was counting on it! I have other issues, but love was never among them.

I know so many people that do though. We can not fully heal until we try to comprehend God's love for us. He is our friend, our Savior, our Redeemer, our All in All. He is trustworthy!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Excellent post! I agree, with Stacie. The Beth Moore "Breaking Free" bible study would help you with this tremendously. It changed my life and kicked my spiritual life into over-drive! God is so good!

The said...

I love your essay here. This is a great blog. You know me. I always want to stretch your brain. Look up everywhere it says "forgive" in your concordance. See how God forgives us. See how many times he says, "If" we do something, "then" He will forgive us. Then tell me He isn't a bit conditional with us. Thanks for listening.